Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Paris Hearts US?

Based on our experiences this year, there's no anti-Americanism here. There's opposition to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, sure, as well as other complaints about the US government and US politicians. But we've never told anyone we're Americans and received a negative response. Maybe people are just being polite. But we're pretty sure the city's pro-Americanism runs deep.

Deep underground, that is. Consider the décor for the Cadet metro station.

Métro Cadet decoration

Never mind that the 13-star flag hasn't been in use since 1795, and that the sentiment here has more to do with the links between the American and French revolutions than with current political or social amity. Whatever - we know this flag proves that Paris hearts the United States. Yet another reason why we heart Paris.

2 comments:

  1. Great discovery! The French love Americans, even more than they love canadians ;) Once mentioned during a phone survey that I had just came back from the US and the lady stopped dead in her tracks and started asking me all kind of questions about the us and telling me how much she dreamed about visiting that country :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maggie, Louis, and Panda! I came across your blog while searching for the backstory of the Cadet Métro station. I'd love to use this photo in my newest blog entry that features Cadet along with the FDR and Chaussée d'Antin stations. I didn't find a copyright disclosure, so I'd like to credit it to your site with a link ... which would obviously also direct some traffic and potential fans your way. Let me know if you object (jeparleamericain@gmail.com), and I'll rectify it tout de suite! In the meantime, great blog!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis