Saturday, May 15, 2010
Professeur Gamberge
While babysitting our friends' children yesterday, I watched a cartoon called Le Professeur Gamberge whose episode title was "Il s'arrête quand, la crise?" (When will the economic crisis be over?) I was astonished that a children's cartoon would address such a heavy, "adult" issue, but I was even more surprised by the unabashedly populist response. In the episode, the Professor (whose last name translates to "Think Hard") explains to three children that bankers - portrayed as gourmands at a table full of rich food - ate too much and got very sick. They'll need to curtail their excessive eating and exercise before their banks - and then the economy - feel better. Brilliant/provocative!
I couldn't find the exact clip I saw (nor could I find an official website) but I did manage to locate a few other "episodes" on youtube, and hopefully this one on slavery (!!!) will give you the gist:
A brief resumé, for the non-francophones: the children are about to ask the Professor a question when they're interrupted by a news segment about a French couple accused of enslaving a maid. Professor Gamberge explains the history of slavery, starting with the war spoils of antiquity, then the Arab slave trade of East Africa, then the European slave trade between Africa and the Americas. He notes that today, slavery doesn't exist at quite the same magnitude as in earlier times, but it can still be found in war zones, under dictatorships, and even "here." He ends with the instruction, "Never forget that we cannot treat humans like dogs." One of the girls takes the edge off by retorting, "But there are some dogs who are treated very well!"
Apparently, Professeur Gamberge also helped explain the recent Regional Elections, but he's not always answering politically charged questions (other topics of interest: earthquakes and forest fires; you can find a list of the first fifty questions posed in episodes here). All questions answered by the show come from children, and supposedly nothing is off-limits. Maybe we can get such a hard-hitting, pedagogically-oriented segment on Sesame Street. First question: Big Bird, why can't Bert and Ernie get married?
Labels:
Babysitting,
tv
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This is what I call Baby Sitting... Not just playing cards or watching Winny the Pooh. Come on ! Now is time (Mehdi is 7 years old, and Nahel 3) for political discussions, strong debates, furious explanations. I'm so pleased they heard about all those "gourmands" who would need a "this is Sparta" kick in their ass.
ReplyDeleteProfesseur Gamberge is indeed oversimplified but it tackles issues we would not talk about easily (i.e. what is AIDS ?). Now Mehdi is asking "Dad why didn't you become a banker ? You would be rich !"