Friday, June 19, 2009

Visas, Part Louis

When Maggie first posted about visa requirements, I didn't yet know which visa I'd apply for. Unlike Maggie, I'm technically not a student - I'm not signed up for classes at a French university, and I'm not even informally affiliated with one. (If I were affiliated, or could convince a French prof to make pretend, I might be eligible for the "Visa for professors and researchers holders of a 'protocole d'acceuil,'" but I think I'm happier as an independent, unaffiliated researcher.) I'm definitely not working (ha!), so that's out.
The only thing left is "General long-stay visa for non-professional purpose." This seems to be intended for retirees, the independently wealthy, basically anyone who comes to France without anything to do but somehow manages to pay for it. So, grad students on fellowship.
I wish this were my visa . . .
  • Three Photographs
  • Two long-stay application forms
  • One Passport
  • And a par-tridge in a pear tree - just kidding. Seriously now:
  • A proof of US resident status (not sure if this applies to me, but my MA driver's license should suffice)
  • Financial guarantee such as: a letter from my bank stating that I have "sufficient means" of support to live in France (how much is "sufficient?" I could live in the streets for nothing...) plus your last or three last (!!?!??) bank statements, plus a note stating that I don't plan to engage in any activities that require a work permit
  • Proof of medical insurance (discussed below)
  • Proof that I'm not a hardened criminal ("certificate of non-criminal record," which I attained at the Somerville Police headquarters this morning!)
  • Deed of my apartment/house in France
Uh, hold up. Deed? I think they mean lease. Right, guys? Guys??? Also, what if I don't know where I'm living yet? On the long-stay application, there's a spot to put your place of residence in France, "if known" - so clearly they don't expect everyone to know already.
Unlike Maggie's short-and-sweet student visa (3 days to process), my long-stay visa for drinking two cups of coffee and three glasses of wine per day takes around two months to process. Maggie and I both scheduled our visa appointments for June 26th. We leave August 31st. Cutting it close? Yes and no. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis