Thursday, April 15, 2010

Portraits of Belleville: The Barber of Belleville

Enough already, you get it: Belleville is all about diversity. And I know I mentioned how that diversity extends to the place where I get my hair cut, where all the barbers are Sri Lankan. So mostly this portrait is an excuse to tell you about my most recent adventure at that barbershop, where (like in many Chinese-owned stores) conversation occurs through a mix of grammatically suspect French, somewhat more intelligible English, and wild gesticulation. We're getting really good at wild gesticulation, if not the other two.

Eyebrow Experience

You can't really tell from the picture above, but my barber wasn't actually working on my hair - he was working on my eyebrows. Now, this was a big moment for everyone concerned. Maggie's been on my case to trim my eyebrows for - well, ever since I turned 26 and apparently entered old age. So here I am, finally taking the plunge so the family portrait we take on the cruise looks nice. Meanwhile, my barber had clearly never trimmed an eyebrow before. I know this because when I asked him to do it, he looked to one of the other barbers, asked a question in either Tamil or Sinhala (my Dravidian languages are not so good), and looked back at me somewhat forlornly. I asked the other barber if maybe he wanted to do it, but no, he gestured towards the first guy, so I sat down. What happened next? See for yourself . . .

Eyebrows BeforeEyebrows After
All better!

3 comments:

  1. It goes like this: first eyebrows, then what not to wear, then the whole apartment make over thing. Which reality show should we be watching?
    PS: looks nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend, you are now a metrosexual.

    Weep, o noble brow, for thy lost innocence.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis