Saturday, March 20, 2010

Meat Me in Belleville Part Deux

In the second installment in our Meat Me in Belleville series, we get down to basics and confront our own squeamishness over what has become a familiar sight:

DSC_0084DSC_0085

I mean, yeah, obviously, someone has to deliver the meat to the boucherie. And I guess I'm glad to see that it comes in entire legs and sides and whatnot, instead of prepackaged morsels. I'm not so excited about the lack of sanitary precautions, like gloves or anything separating the meat from, you know, everything else. But that's just the OCD/over-sanitized American part of me talking.

The crazy thing is, I see deliveries like this almost every day, all along the Rue du Faubourg du Temple. I'm curious about whether deliveries to butchers are as public as this elsewhere in Paris. Can anyone living in the 16th or 8th tell me if they've ever observed raw meat traversing the sidewalk? Maybe deliveries are made to the ritzy parts of town in the wee hours of the morning and to the less ritzy parts in plain daylight.

Most times I just see half-empty trucks sitting on the side of the road, but on the day I saw this truck, I actually got to watch them offload the meat from the trucks and transport it to the boucherie.

DSC_0087DSC_0088DSC_0089

First, using an automatic conveyor, they bring a row of meat (hanging on hooks) from the depths of the truck to the back, then lower it towards the street level. One of the guys then shoulders a side of beef, lifts it off the hook, and starts walking/shuffling. . .

DSC_0090

. . . across the sidewalk, in front of the unsuspecting mother and daughter . . .

DSC_0091

. . . and into the front door of the boucherie. Brilliant. I wish this mode of beef delivery would come back into fashion in the US, since it would be helpful for people to have a better idea of how meat is transported and delivered. Food industry transparency! They're way ahead of us on that here in France, or at least, here in Belleville.

4 comments:

  1. my goodness! that's awesome. It looks like the delivery men wear their hoods while shouldering the meat to protect both themselves and the meat from direct contact with the side of their heads. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good observation, Tara. It makes perfect sense: as long as the meat only touches their already-blood-stained lab coats, there's no way bacteria or bird poop or whatever can taint the meat.

    After seeing this post, our neighbor told us a story about once seeing raw meat in Russia thrown in the ground from a truck, then carried onto his cruise boat. I think that beats this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I am coming to paris in 2 weeks time, where can i get the halal cold meat or halal roast chicken in Paris? I will stay at eiffel tower area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nic, I don't know off-hand whether there are any halal butchers in the 7th, but there are tons and tons all along the Rue du Faubourg du Temple, which separates the 10th and 11th arrondissements, and along both the Rue de Belleville (separating the 19th and 20th arrondissements) and the Boulevard de Belleville (separating the 11th and 20th arrondissements). Good luck, and have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis