Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Quiche Bis

Four years ago, my French host mother first taught me how to make quiche, and I've been tinkering with the recipe ever since. (It's only recently that Maggie and I also started tinkering with our food photography, inspired as we are by Smitten Kitchen, the most amazing food blog ever.)

This is the second quiche I've made since we arrived ("bis" means "again"; you can see the first one here), and I'm extremely pleased with how it came out. It has a whole wheat, spiced crust (I used herbes de provence), caramelized onions and lardons (the traditional French version of bacon), crème fraîche, eggs, and a light sprinkling of emmenthaler. There's still some leftover if you're in the neighborhood and feel like dropping by!



Compare it to a few quiche/salad plats we've had at various bistrots/cafés:


Café le Paris, 24 Rue St.-Sabin, 11e


Pause Café, 41 Rue de Charonne, 11e

In conclusion, Maggie and I are thinking about opening our own café. I will make the quiche, cookies, and cakes; she will make the coffee, bagels, and breads. Would you be our customer?

4 comments:

  1. Um, no shout out to the lonely American who turned you on to Smitten Kitchen? Just kidding... Looks great! I'd come eat at Chez Maggie et Louis

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bad! Thanks, Rachel! We still need to work on the name, though: "Chez Maggie et Louis" is a little clunky . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of like the sound of Quiche bis, actually, but you probably don't want people to think you don't get your dishes right the first time... But it does show that you perfect your cooking!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis