This blog claims to be about musicology, but mostly I subject you to boring anecdotes about research. Today, all that changes. For your amusement (or more likely, your utter bewilderment and/or disgust), I present a list of the 27 best film title/composer puns several of my classmates and I could come up with. (The total list consisted of 78, so be glad I'm only publishing 27.) We are/this is the future of musicology.
Bach to the Future
Correline
De Falla The Roman Empire
Ferris Bueller's Day Orff
James and the Giant Piccinni
The Fantastic Mr. Fux
Weill You Were Sleeping
Yankee Doodle D'Indy
Purcellpolis
Faure Weddings and a Funeral
You, Me, and DuFay
Bruch-Bach Mountain
The Da Vinci Kodaly
You Don't Messiaen with the Zohan
Charlotte's Webern
Close Encounters of the Byrd Kind
Korngoldfinger
Battle of Britten
Haydn Fidelity
The Joy Gluck Club
16 Josquindles
Mouton Rouge
Scarlatti Face
Milhaud Myself and Irene
The Stepford Ives
12 Angry Mendelssohn
This strikes me as an amusing - if potentially ineffective - method for teaching students how to (mis)pronounce composer's names, even if it doesn't teach them anything about the composers themselves or music in general. If you can think of any more, let me know!
Really funny!! The Stepford Ives is amazing.... so is Ferris Bueller's Day Orff.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad Rachel passed this on to me!
Emily RP
Don't you think Tom, Frank and I deserve more credit than just to be listed as "several of my classmates"? I think this post deserves an edit.
ReplyDeleteI'm with whoever Mugshot is.
ReplyDeleteI am offended on behalf of the Polish nation. Where is your sense of tokenism when it's most appropriate? With Chopin on the brink of his very important birthday, you couldn't come up with something like Little Chopin of Horrors? Or, even more beautiful and poignant: My Dog Szymanowskip (Lutosławskip/Góreckip/etc to infinity)?
ReplyDeleteA gets points for actually contributing some new (and quite good) puns to the list. Version 2.0, coming right up!
ReplyDeleteMatt, Frank, and Tom, I apologize for trying to keep your names out of this so that you can one day get jobs. But yes, thanks for your help, I look forward to further silly collaborations!