Monday, September 21, 2009

David Lynch at Galeries Lafayette

Sunday afternoon we took a bus (!) to Galeries Lafayette, one of the huge department stores in Paris (and one of the first of its kind anywhere). Maggie wanted to do some shopping, and I had heard about a peculiar kind of exhibition. Apparently, the store commissioned David Lynch (filmmaker, photographer, musician, painter) to design 11 display windows at the store. Unfortunately for Maggie, the store is closed Sundays, but fortunately for all of us, the display windows were at street level on Boulevard Haussman.

Consistent with David Lynch's aesthetic, the displays ranged from gruesome to fantastical to sarcastic. Lynch's subject, "Machines, Abstraction and Women," lends itself to provocation. I can't really begin to describe what was actually going on in the windows (and besides, plenty of other blogs have already tried that), so I'll let the pictures do the talking.



The display windows are up through October 3rd.

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis