Once we stopped craving baguettes, we started craving bagels, and other than the odd, Orthodox-Jewish-owned-and-operated Sushi/Bagel restaurant just around the corner, we haven't seen bagels anywhere. So on a whim, Maggie bought this bagel recipe book, written in French by Marc Grossman, an American expat who owns Bob's Juice Bar in the 10th (just 20 minutes from our apartment!).
This book is INCREDIBLE. Our bagels are DELICIOUS. And as weird as it feels to be eating bagels in Paris, it's still a gesture of assimilation, since the recipe was in French! (cuillière à soupe = tablespoon!)
These bagels were remarkably easy to make, and next time we can throw on whatever toppings or mix-ins we want. I'm not sure if we'll ever buy bagels again.
I am so impressed! Your bagels look amazing. I made an attempt at bagels while in Moldova, and it was a sad sight to see :( I recommend making tortillas, too. Way easier and a great taste of "home."
ReplyDeleteWe made bagels last winter and it really was easy and delicious. I recommend topping with dehydrated onions - sounds weird but works very well.
ReplyDeleteWhy didn't you ever tell us that making bagels was so easy??? All this time, we've been missing out!
ReplyDeleteFun characters from the French keyboard I'm typing on (in the library): §£¤àçèéµù!!!
Holy crap! Those bagels look amazing! You make a New Yorker proud...
ReplyDeleteI guess you have found your calling if the diss doesn't work out - you can permanently move to Paris and open up a bagelrie!
ReplyDeleteI am so craving a nice big deli bagel now. Great job guys!
ReplyDeleteHope all is well in Paris.
Hugs,
Cousin Jen
Oh! When you told me you made bagels (which I obviously approve of) you didn't mention that Bob's Juice Bar figured into the story. We haven't been to the Juice Bar yet (have you?) but there's an outpost called Kitchen right around the corner from us, also owned by Marc Grossman. We had breakfast there the other day when we were driven from our home by the construction. The food was yummy and relatively cheap (it being Paris), and they have bottomless coffee and the New Yorker! We should all go there some day for a late breakfast.
ReplyDelete