Sunday, February 21, 2010

V is for Vélib'

Don't tell my mom, but I've been riding bikes in Paris. Yes, I said bikes - tons of 'em. With the help of my (crucial) French bank card, I signed up for Vélib' (short for Vélo libre, free bike), the city-organized bike-sharing program that other cities, including Boston, are trying to emulate.


We've mentioned Vélib' before, but we've never described it in detail. Before I get into the nitty-gritty, just to keep things interesting, here's a relevant excerpt from an email to my friend Diana:
I just started availing myself of the bike-sharing program they have here (called Velib, the NYT writes about it all the time). The bikes are super heavy and I have to struggle just about as much as I can to attain the speeds to which I'm accustomed (on my road bike in Boston). That means I always arrive at my destination sweaty and flustered. I mostly ride in the bus lanes (which are cyclist-friendly) and try not to get mowed down by psycho motorcyclists. I gloat when I pass a line of 30 cars stuck behind a garbage truck. I am the ONLY cyclist who wears a helmet. Biking through Paris gives me a rush I've never experienced before, and makes me want to bike NYC next time I'm there. Will you ride with me?
IMG_0772

Here's how it works: you have the option of a one-day, week-long or year-long pass, which respectively cost 1, 5, and 29 euros. A pass allows you to take out a bike for up to a half-hour, completely free of charge. The second half-hour costs 1 euro, the next half-hour after that costs 2 euros, and every half-hour after that costs 4 euros. Basically, it gets expensive if you keep the bike more than an hour, and I never do. But as long as you keep it under an hour, riding the bike remains cheaper than riding the métro. And if you return your bike before 30 minutes is up, then wait two minutes, you can take out another bike, starting another 30-minute cycle. You could basically ride all day for nothing more than what it cost to buy the day-, week-, or month-pass! At the bike stands, of which there are roughly 1,450 all around the city and its suburbs (one every 1000 ft.), most people get their bikes by tapping their Passe Navigo (connected to pre-registered accounts) against a sensor that unlocks the specific bike you want. It's also possible to use a European bank card to get a day- or week-pass at the kiosks located in the middle of each bike stand. Once you've taken a bike, you can return it at any station, so you're free to make a series of one-way trips if you like.

IMG_0773

I am a huge, huge fan of Vélib. That said, the system has its shortcomings. On the hilly outskirts of the city (especially Belleville), bikes are in short supply, as people ride them to the center of the city then take the métro back. (For the record, I almost always bring my bike back. I am a good person.) Lots of bikes have also been stolen, although it's hard to believe anyone would steal such a heavy, dorky-looking ride. Another big problem is defective bikes: vandalism has taken its toll, as has wear and tear. Still, as long as you're willing to put in a little effort to find a bike in good, working order, the benefits are much greater than the challenges. 

I'm getting exercise, saving money on métro passes and tickets, learning the city's geography and enjoying its stunning architecture and vibrant street culture, all while getting wherever it is that I need to go. Again, I ask: Will you ride with me?

IMG_0746

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis