The French don't get married in churches! *Update* The French do get married in churches! (See Mo's comment below). But what Google should have shown (at the risk of confusing Americans) is a search for the local mairie (city hall) where French couples file the paperwork and where they are compelled to have a civil ceremony. (True story. Only civil marriage is binding. A religious ceremony is non-binding and can only take place after a civil ceremony. Oh, French bureaucracy.)
Of course, just because the ceremony must take place at city hall doesn't mean friends and family can't attend. For proof (and endless amusement), consider this next video, which (I'm sad to say) we discovered while on a youtube "save-the-date" video bender. If you don't already know about this new form of expression, you are in for a real treat.
Louis....this is generally true everywhere. In the US, you have to get a marriage license from city hall for a marriage to be legally binding.
ReplyDeleteAlso...how did you know that? Why did you have the link to "Paris marriage" handy?
ReplyDeleteA marriage license acquired before a wedding ceremony does not mean you're already married. The marriage is only legally binding after the ceremony, when the license is certified.
ReplyDeleteAnd I had that link handy because, well, your mom and I have something we'd like to tell you . . .
Louis is made physically ill when he is wrong.
ReplyDeleteNotice: you did not refute what I said, which was "in the US, you have to get a marriage license from city hall for a marriage to be legally binding." Instead, you posted something else, which is tangentially related to my comment, but does not refute it. Artfully attempted, but still not definitive. My point stands. When you spend four years in NYC's number one Lincoln-Douglas debate program, come talk to me.
P.S. Which happened more recently, you received correspondence from my mom, or I received correspondence from your mom? I think you know the answer to that question...
P.S. I still love you. :hug:
ReplyDeleteI got nuthin'. It was supposed to be about French people not getting married in churches, and Google's ad being weird in that respect. Maybe someday, when I'm older, I'll understand the legal requirements for marriage. Sigh.
ReplyDeleteOn the bright side, this is the first snarky argument ever conducted in the comments of one of our posts! We're for real now!
As I'm both french and married I would just like to say that, most of the time, french people do the 2 things. A wedding ceremony at the Church ("just to please my Grand mother and Grand father I assure you, I don't care about religion, I swear !") and the civil ceremony at the City Hall. It truly is a ceremony with many people attending, THE special KISS, and the moment when you swear you will "love respect and honor her ... through the joy and the sorrow" bla bla (you just say "yes" and do not have to repeat all the sentences, other guys and girls are waiting for their turn). You give the ring and then the mayor pronounces what you came for in the first place. Do not forget to sign all the papers that is what really counts. And you're given the famous "livret de famille" that will record everything that follows (name of the children, date and place of birth...).
ReplyDeleteAt the City Hall entrance the friends are waiting with rice to throw in the air and some times musicians.
And this is it (the beginning of the end :) )