The concert took place in a private salon in the 9th arrondissement, just across the street from former residences of Chopin and Georges Sand. The salon, decorated in authentic Louis-Phillippe style, transported us to the era in which much of the music we performed was written.
Playing chamber music is always a pleasure, but I especially enjoyed the "ethnographic" element this concert adds to my year of research. After all, I'm writing a dissertation about the period in French history that saw the last great flowering of salon culture, so I've spent a decent amount of time reading about concerts just like this one. To have participated in the planning and execution of a concert that could have easily taken place a century ago gives me a strange, almost cosmic sense of connection with the composers, performers, salon hosts, patrons, and audience members that I've been studying. It's fitting that this rich moment comes towards the end of a rewarding year.
I hope you enjoy listening to the recording. Let me know if you're interested in coming to a repeat performance of this concert, which will take place on May 30 in Longpont.
As I'm waiting for the download, I'm thinking that maybe the name should be changed from "Paris Chamber Players" to "Schubert Dooby Doo."
ReplyDeleteNow it has finished and I'm listening to the Schubert. Well done!
Mugshot is right. We need better band/album names. I like "Schubert Dooby Doo" a lot, but I bet there are more good ones out there. Let's make it a contest: the winning submissions for band and album names get a special Parisian (or American, if you're already in Paris) prize!
ReplyDeleteJacquo the Waco and the Comets ?
ReplyDeleteor Jacquo and the Lanterns ?
(very private joke)