The most important thing I've learned over the last 8 months of research is something I learned at a Parisian restaurant.
My mom, Cathy and I had arrived several minutes early at La Cerisaie, where we were going to have dinner with Maggie, Eden, and JP, who were running a little late. It was freezing out, so we tried to go in. But the door was locked, there were no customers inside, and we were early enough that I figured they just hadn't opened yet. (Many restaurants don't open until 7:30 or 8.) We kept waiting for the other three to show up, getting colder and wondering when the restaurant would open. Finally, someone inside came to the door, opened it, I explained we had a reservation, and she let us in.
When Maggie, Eden, and JP finally arrived, I watched as they, too, struggled with the door. The hostess, who was busy doing something, called out "it's open! just keep pushing!" and a few seconds later they managed to force themselves through the door. I realized the door must have been open when we were trying to get in too, we just didn't push hard enough.
I was reminded of this incident yesterday, when I finally gained access to the archives of a certain Parisian music publisher after 7 months of trying. When I say "7 months of trying," I mean I sent dozens of emails, made gads of phone calls, resorted to pleading with mutual acquaintances to intercede on my behalf. Basically I did everything short of showing up uninvited at the homes of the people with whom I was trying to get in touch. Oh, and after "getting in touch," I still had to get legal permission to look at something, anything, in their archives. Which took more time, caused more frustration, and made me feel like I was being left out in the cold. It was La Cerisaie all over again.
So I kept pushing. I knew it was possible to open that door, and eventually it did open - just not all the way. When I was finally given access, I wasn't allowed to see any of the things I had originally asked to see, like musical sketches, letters, contracts, and account details. Copyright and other legal questions made these things off-limits, but I did get to study something I hadn't even considered asking for: livres de cotage, the books in which they kept track of how many copies of each piece they print.
I'm purposefully showing you a terribly out-of-focus picture because 1) I wasn't supposed to take pictures and b) I definitely am not supposed to be "publishing" images of their livre de cotage and iii) don't steal my research, ok? It probably wouldn't be that useful, anyway - it's not incredibly useful to me, just a little interesting, worth a few sentences in my dissertation. In 8 months of research, I've gathered all sorts of crumbs like this one, which hopefully will come together to look more like a pie crust and less like a pile of crumbs by the time I'm finished writing up everything.
This archive was a particularly difficult nut to crack; several other archives, libraries, and attempts at making contacts proved challenging as well. But if I accomplished anything this year, it's because I learned to just keep pushing, not to take "no" for an answer, and to only eat at really good restaurants.
Tuesday, May 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm very proud of you, Louis. After all this time you now know that "no" is not the end of it in France. It's just the beginning of a... Revolution !
ReplyDelete("no ?" "why no ?" " we the people have the right to bla bla bla", "no , Who are you to say no ?" "hey guys ! he's telling me no !", "come on I know it's no but I you would just leave me just one second...")